Archaeological tourism

Sanctuary of Ammon Zeus and Dionysus

 One of the important temples that have been identified in Halkidiki is that of Ammon Zeus. In this place of the Kassandra peninsula was founded in the second half of the 8th century BC, by the Evian settlers of the city of Afitis, a sanctuary of Dionysus that was worshiped together with the Nymphs in the cave under the rock on the southwestern slope of the area. On the flat surface, in the northern part of the area, it was founded towards the end of the 5th c. e.g. sanctuary of the Egyptian god Ammon Zeus. Initially, towards the end of the 5th c. BC, a built altar was built, but later, in the second half of the 4th century BC, a pavilion of Doric style temple with a stone slab (superstructure) was built next to the altar. The latter was replaced with another marble towards the end of the 3rd or the beginning of the 2nd c. e.g. Its roof was decorated with clay tiles, embossed and colored. Its design restoration is possible based on the architectural members that were found scattered. In Roman times (1st - 2nd century AD) the church was rebuilt and with its material two stepped structures (stands) were built on its southern narrow side, while between them, on the older altar, another small altar was built. In this outdoor space, the faithful had to watch some events. As the findings show, the Roman phase of the temple lasted until the time of the successors of Constantine the Great, when it must have been permanently destroyed. Part of an early Christian bath excavated at the northern end of the site may be related to the continuation of worship in the early Christian centuries, but also later in the mid-Byzantine period.

Ancient Mendi

Ancient Mendi, which experienced great economic prosperity due to the exports of the famous Mendai wine, was one of the colonies, which Eretria founded on the Pallini peninsula in the 8th century. e.g. The main archeological site, covering 1200 x 600 m., Is located on the flat plateau and the slopes of a pine-covered hill which ends smoothly to the sea. In the citadel or Vigla, which extends to the highest, southeastern point of the hill, underground storage areas with ceramics (clusters of pits-deposits) from the 12th to the 7th c. e.g. On the plateau, also known as Xefoto, a test section revealed part of a wall of the classic city. In the "Suburb", which is mentioned by Thucydides and which occupies the coastal area outside the walls of the ancient city, successive phases of habitation from the 9th to the 4th c. e.g. In the coastal cemetery, located on the beach of the Mendi Hotel, a total of 241 burials were excavated, mainly of infants and young children, in large vessels, dating from the end of the 8th to the beginning of the 6th century. e.g. The vessels were mainly written, with floral and geometric decoration, or engraved, and are typical samples of the ceramic style of Halkidiki.

Tower of N. Fokea or St Paul

A trademark of the village, this Byzantine Tower dominates imposingly on the hill located to the right of the port of Nea Fokea. It is made of stone, with a height of 28m. and is the only one that survives up to its ramparts. It is probable that it was built in 1407 in a prehistoric place, for the protection of the share of the Monastery of Ag. Paul. In 1821 it was set on fire and in 1976 its roof was rebuilt. Around the tower are preserved ruined parts of the east and south wings of the metochi and a church of 1868. In Pyrgos, in 1821, the headquarters of the leader of the revolution in Halkidiki, Emmanuel Papas, had his headquarters.

Sani Tower 

Sani Tower or Stavronikita Tower, is located on the hill of Sani Hotel, where the citadel of ancient Sani was probably located, the city built by settlers from Eretria and was until the Roman years one of the most prosperous cities of Halkidiki. The wide area is mentioned with the toponym "Pyrgos" since 1346. The area was part of the Stavronikita monastery. The Tower was built in 1543 for the protection of the share, has a height of 8m and survives to this day in very good condition.

Roman Cottage

On the beach of Megali Kypsa, was discovered in 1972 near the sea a farmhouse of Roman times with mosaic floors and many marble architectural members. An early Christian church was later created at the site, which archaeologists say bore striking similarities to the architecture of Roman-era buildings.

Early Christian Royal Tube

A few kilometers outside of Kallithea, in the place of Solina, there is the early Christian church of Solina that dates back to the 5th century AD. The archeological dig also brought to light the cruciform baptistery, which is attached to the narthex of the temple, as well as tombs with clay vessels. The middle aisle is occupied by an earlier 13th century building, which seems to have been a tower.

Poseidon Temple

The oldest sanctuary of Poseidon, is located in Poseidi, in the area that in ancient times was called ancient Mendi. The church was in operation for more than 1000 years, and there are references to it even by Thucydides and in Mount Athos documents of the 14th century. It was probably built by the Eretrians, who colonized Mendi and had Poseidon as their protector. The excavations brought to light four large buildings: the main temple, two buildings on either side of the temple and an arched building in its eastern part. The last, which is also the oldest, dates from the protogeometric period (11th-10th century BC). Its floor is clay and the walls are made of large cobbles.

Port of Ancient Skioni

Ancient Skioni is located at "Mytikas" between Nea Skioni and Agios Nikolaos. This is an extremely inaccessible hill, which dominates over the sea. It is not accessible from the south, as its side in front of the sea is steep.
The ancient city was built on a hill in front of the sea, while the hill to the north is identified with the fortified hill mentioned by Thucydides in front of the city. The city seems to have been heavily fortified, as the Athenians besieged it for two years. From its fortification were visible at the beginning of the 20th century a few parts of a tower on the hill. At this point it places the citadel of the ancient city.
A coin of ancient Skioni (c. 500 BC) depicts the Homeric hero Protesilaos, who is also mentioned as the founder of the city. The port of Skioni was important, which contributed a lot to its prosperity. In the 5th BC century Skioni, became a member of the Athenian Alliance, but during the Peloponnesian War joined the Spartans. Skioni paid dearly for this apostasy, after the Athenians occupied Skioni, slaughtered or enslaved its inhabitants and settled in it Plataeans, who had been forced to leave their homeland.